Wednesday, December 14, 2011

DIY Canvas pictures

I love Pinterest. I have found things on there that I never knew I needed or never knew I needed the make. DIY canvases are a perfect example of that. We have a number of pictures that we have wanted to hang in our front hallway, but we couldn't agree on frames. I love the look of canvas prints, but don't really want to pay canvas print prices. So I stumble across a DIY canvas on Pinterest. I must try this. So I did a few of our pictures and they turned about great. Then my kids had to do some Christmas poetry (with pictures) for writing class (the previously mentioned Institute for Excellence in Writing). I had a brilliant idea... scan the pictures and type the poetry and print it as an 8x10 photo and make canvases for the grandparents. Score. They will love it. So here is how I did it....

You need a canvas, a picture, mod podge, a brush, some paint and a sponge.

First trim your picture slightly smaller than the canvas. I found all the canvases to be slightly short of what the stated size was.

Then brush your canvas with mod podge. I did some where I also brushed the back of the picture too. That was messy and I found it to be not necessary.



Then brush mod podge over your picture... don't be stingy. It's going to be white, but dry clear. However you will see the brush marks, so make sure they go the way you want them to and that the edges are neat and not goopy.



(this was one of the photos that I did for the hallway)

Wait for it to dry and then sponge some paint on the edges. This helps to hide the edge of the photo, but also finishes it with a grungy kind of look that I like.




Cool, huh?

1 comment: