Friday, January 27, 2012

knitting

So I have this friend... she's pretty, her husband is nice looking... they have 2 kids (a girl and a boy)... she has a PhD... she sews and she knits... beautifully. Sewing... I can sew well enough to get along. I make stuff for myself and my kids. Years ago I entered things in the county fair and won ribbons. Knitting, however has not really ever appealed to me. Both of my grandmas crocheted and I pictured knitting kinda' like crocheting... for grandmas. I hadn't really thought about it, but A LOT of my friends knit. Crazy. So this friend has made me some cool stuff and finally after the 3rd cool gift I decided I had to learn how to knit. So I asked her if she would help me. I also asked for some knitting stuff for Christmas (from someone who knits - my husband's step mom). Well she got me some needles, yarn, some accessories and a basic how-to book. I started right away, that night.

This is the first thing I knit. I know, not very exciting, but I could do it.



Then I decided I wanted a "fun fur" scarf. I have no idea if they are still in style (although my friend would say hand made things are always in style), but I wanted one. So I decided to get some fun fur and get started. I bought multi colored fun fur that would match just about everything I owned and I made a scarf 3 skeins long. I had to start over once because Little Brother pulled the needle out and there was no way I was going to get it back in. So now it's done and I've worn it and it is a very nice feeling of accomplishment. Here it is in bad lighting:




I have moved on to the next project, which is fine. What is not fine is now I want to knit all the time. I have found tons of patterns that I want to make... there's things for me, for the kids, for gifts. There is not enough time to do it all. Any ideas how to balance knitting and real life and all the other hobbies?

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I tried knitting and couldn't get into it. I think it's because I started with a prayer shawl for church (that is who taught me to knit). After 2 skeins of yarn, I still wasn't done and I never got that thrill of accomplishment. I should have started with a dish cloth. Or a cute scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could still try a cute scarf, Kristy. Blog comments need a "like" button. :)

    ReplyDelete